Friday, June 19, 2009

No Texting At Work?

Today I got asked by the HR head about how I felt about texting at work. I was confused at first because I wasn't sure if this was a trick question, but she said it was because she wanted to know more about my generation. I guess it makes sense. I mean, I am one of the youngest, if not the youngest person at work and I would be able to provide honest feedback on what's acceptable in the work place.

Of course I explained to her that texting has become a social norm and it's common for us to exchange text messages with our parents, families, friends and even coworkers. So, as long as it wasn't affecting our work performance, it's something that shouldn't need monitoring or regulating at work. If there were rules about how often you could text or use your cell phone throughout the day, hiring younger generations would be difficult. It was an out of the blue topic of conversation, but an interesting one.

No comments:

Post a Comment